Sunday, July 18, 2010

CONTRACTIONS...Quick get ready...Oops false alarm!

Well the title of this post pretty much describes our week. Monday night around 7:30 I started having pretty intense contractions and we decided to start timing them. After about an hour of having contractions 5 minutes or less apart, with each lasting 2-3 minutes, I decided it was time to call our doctor. That process took a little longer than I expected because he had left his pager in another part of his house but we did finally connect. He said that since it was my 2nd pregnancy I knew what was happening and he said we could go to the hospital if we liked but that it was also fine to stay home until either the pain got too bad or my water broke. Since I didn't want to be sent home from the hospital we decided to hang around home to see what developed. But with Robert it presents a little more of a challenge so I called my brother to have him come over and spend the night in case we needed to leave. Well of course by the time he gets to our house (around 10:15) the contractions are slowing. That night I had contractions off and on and didn't sleep well but nothing that warranted a trip to the hospital...but thanks for coming over Nick!

On Tuesday I had my scheduled 37 week check-up. I am still measuring two weeks ahead but since I didn't grow any more the doctor decided he wasn't too concerned. He thinks that the main reason I'm all of sudden measuring big is because the baby has yet to drop and thus is just making me bigger than most women that have dropped by this point...wonderful! The other great, um Not!, thing about not dropping is that the doctor thinks until she does drop contractions aren't going to do much other than cause me discomfort and pain. Of course the contractions can also help her drop but so far this is not the case. I did have a slight change and was almost 1cm dilated so I guess progress is progress...right?

The rest of the week was pretty uneventful. I'd get a few sharp contractions but nothing that ever developed into anything consistent until this morning. This morning my strong and close together contractions were back but I was determined to not even time them since I've decided to hang out at home until my water breaks or the pain is too extreme. Well after finally getting ahold of my family to see where they were for the day and getting a few things finished around the house the contractions once again stopped. My brother said it best when I told him it was another false alarm..."typical woman not able to make up her mind." As annoyed as I was with the contractions stopping once again I couldn't disagree with his statement. Let's just hope it isn't a sign of times to come with her. :)

The good news about her not arriving last week/this weekend is that Eric's parents are out of town and return early this week. The bad news is that my doctor is now out of town for the week and my brother leaves for a long weekend concert trip this coming weekend. I know she'll come when she is ready but what about WHEN I AM READY?! Tomorrow I go see a different doctor for my 38 week check-up since mine is out of town. I'm not expecting any big developments since I am almost 100% positive Izzy has yet to drop and everything else seems to be progressing as expected.

So I'm ready to accept defeat for the week and wait until all of my important people are around for Izzy's debut. This will allow me to also finish up the current session of lessons at work and probably get the last session started next Monday. And when all else fails next Monday is a full moon so hopefully the stories are true and that starts my labor.

1 comment:

rarejule said...

Yes, the stories of a full moon is true. So bank on it!